Friday, May 18, 2007

Fox Goes Green

Grist features a Q and A with Rupert Murdoch, owner of the Fox network, about his plan to make that organization carbon neutral in the next three years. Here is an excerpt:
Q: What motivated you to implement your climate plan? Was there a "conversion moment" when you realized this needed to be a priority?
A:I grew up in Australia, which is facing its
worst drought in 100 years -- that has struck a personal chord for me. I've read about the climate issue over the years, but I was probably a bit more skeptical than my son, James, who's a complete convert, and who converted me. I saw what he did at [British Sky Broadcasting] and we said, well, let's make it company-wide.
Q: So this is an example of younger-generation sensibilities trickling up?
A:Well, more twisting my arm, at first. But I've become more enthusiastic day by day. I don't think there's any question of my conviction on this issue -- I've come to feel it very strongly. The more I've looked into it, the more I've been able to see what we can do, not just from an operations standpoint but by subtly introducing [the climate issue] into our content.
Q:What do you intend to achieve with your climate plan, and how will you meet your goals?
A:We want to help solve the climate problem. We'll squeeze our own energy use down as much as we can. We'll become carbon neutral for our own emissions within three years, and be entirely transparent throughout the process, publicly reporting our reductions and offsets. But that's just a start. Our audience's carbon footprint is 10,000 times bigger than ours, so clearly that's where we can have the most influence.

IREJN is Connecticut's Interfaith Power and Light. Visit us at www.irejn.org.

No comments: